Friday, August 09, 2013

LIFE IN WASHINGTON DC: AN INTRO.

Welcome to my very first post! Hopefully this will be as fun and creative as I'm imagining it to be!

Inspired by my lovely coworker Alex's blog, The Sweat Life as well as this lovely lady's post, "Are you Making This Mistake as a Blogger" (not to mention all the millions of other cool and artistic bloggers out there), I've decided that it would be nice to have a side project when work days are slow and I feel like I want to obsess about my life through something that isn't a Facebook post.

So hopefully I'll be able to keep up with this, keep it entertaining, and show you real life in the 202!

And with that said, I would like to leave you with some of my favorite thoughts on the wonderful city (Washington, DC) I live in:


“But despite what candidates and pundits and naysayers may say, Washington is not just the halls of Capitol Hill or the White House or K Street. It is just a big city in a small town with an even bigger soul. And like New York City in the 1980s and 90s, it is undergoing a renaissance. Streets are cleaner, restaurants are opening on every corner and, most importantly, a sense of community has begun to permeate among its residents and those of nearby districts in Maryland and Virginia…

Beyond the calls for resignations, and the scandals, and the pundits and the politics and the theatrics, there exists here a thriving society full of young, brilliant people whose core reason for living and breathing and working in this town is to make the world better. Whether it’s the young community manager at a tech startup, to the ex-pat taking notes at their embassy, to the communications director at an environmental non-profit, sit down at a bar with anybody in this city and after one martini or seven, if you listen carefully you will hear the same story: that they came to D.C. because they want to be part of something bigger than themselves…

As for me, I am writing these words on a perfect spring night standing alone on a small hill, perched on a bright red Capital Bikeshare bike by the Washington Monument, with Congress behind me, Thomas Jefferson to my left, Barack Obama to my right, Abraham Lincoln staring solemnly at me from afar. Beyond them and their politics are my friends, my loved ones, and other great people I have yet to meet. And, for now, there is no place else I’d rather be.”

A (Non-Political) Ode to Washington DC via Thought Catalog

No comments:

Post a Comment